I want to make a table top using Shiner beer bottle caps. I don’t know what size, shape or design yet, but I have a general idea of how I want to go about it.
1) Fill the bottle caps with plaster to create tiles.
2) Rough up the top of a wooden table with course sand paper.
3) Use an adhesive (sandless mortar?) to place the caps on the table.
4) Fill the gaps with grout (white, I think).
5) I am not sure if I will need to cover the table to make it more weather resistant. If I decide to cover it, I will use a thin layer (1/16” to 1/8”) of synthetic resin. This can be poured over the table and uses a chemical process to harden. It leaves a clear protective layer, like what you see on some bar tops.
I am really excited about my project, but there are a couple of limiting factors at work. I have approximately 150 Shiner bottle caps, which is not nearly enough, and I don’t buy enough beer to collect enough beer caps in a reasonable amount of time. Also, I have to find an appropriate table. Once I have a table, I will know how many caps I need. For example, a 4’x4’ table would require approximately 2500 caps.
If you have any Shiner bottle caps, please let me know. I don’t care what style they are. Most of mine are Bock and Blonde, with a fair amount of Black, but I would like to have as many styles as possible represented. Hopefully I can find some 96’s, original 97’s, and 98’s somewhere.
Vaya con Dios, amigos.